We use 1.6–2 grams of coffee per fluid ounce of water; our recipe makes approximately 17 ounces (500 grams) of brewed coffee.
- 30 grams of fresh-roasted whole bean coffee
- Pour over brewer*
- Appropriate filter
- Carafe to brew into
- Hot water (195–205 F)
*Do not fill the dripper or brew basket more than 1/2–1/3 full of ground coffee to ensure appropriate coffee/water contact. Total brew time should be 3–4 minutes.
Steps to Take:
- Bring 500 grams water to a boil and let cool
- Crease edges of paper filter in opposite directions to ensure fit then place filter in dripper
- Rinse paper filter (to avoid paper taste) and discard water used for rinsing
- Place dripper on top of carafe
- Weigh and grind coffee (grind to roughly the size of granulated table salt)
- Add ground coffee to filter; make sure the coffee bed is level
- Add water to “bloom” grounds
- Start timer and gently saturate grounds with hot water, pouring in a circular motion in the center of the coffee bed and allowing the coffee to “bloom” or de-gas. Add only enough water to saturate the grounds; stop before coffee starts to flow from the bottom of the filter.
- Wait 30–45 seconds
- Slowly pour remaining water
- Keep the liquid level in the dripper between ½ and ¾ full. Avoid pouring along the edges of the coffee bed. Control brewing time and liquid level by slowing or speeding up the pour as needed; total brew time should be 3–4 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!