We use 1.6–2 grams of coffee per fluid ounce of water; our recipe makes about 32 ounces (900 grams) of brewed coffee.
- 60 grams freshly-roasted whole bean coffee
- Grinder (we recommend burr grinders for consistency and performance)
- French press (we use the Bodum Chambord 8 cup)
- Stirring utensil
- Hot water (195–205 F)
Steps to Take:
- Heat 900 grams of water to boil, let water rest for at least 30 seconds after bringing it to a boil
- Grind the appropriate amount of coffee just before brewing
- Grind should be medium-coarse roughly the size of coarsely cracked pepper
- Add ground coffee to French press carafe and level the bed
- Wet all grounds and fill the carafe about halfway with hot water
- Stir the grounds to encourage even brewing–this helps to release CO2 gas.
- Add the remaining water
- Pour evenly to the top
- Replace plunger
- Press down just enough to create a seal. Let the coffee brew for about 4 minutes.
- At about 4 minutes, the coffee is ready to filter.
- Press down slowly to avoid overly-agitating the coffee. Align the spout so it’s ready to pour.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Decant any remaining coffee to fully stop brewing in the press.
Don’t Miss an Opportunity to Make a Difference
Your meaningful gift allows Purple Door Coffee to continue to be a place of holistic employment, teaching and support to young adults transitioning from street life to self-sufficiency.