Some of the highlights of coffee school in no particular order:
- We got to hang out in Portland.
- We met some amazing people in the coffee industry.
- We met some amazing people that work with Street Kids in Portland.
- We were introduced to some new friends on the streets of Portland.
- We drank awesome coffee. Lots of awesome coffee.
- We learned about espresso, brewed coffee, steaming milk, pouring latte art, etc., etc. Basically all the basics of serving great coffee in your coffee shop.
- We were able to try a ton of different machines and figure out which ones we really like.
- We were able to see a bunch of great shops and get ideas for our shop and clarify our vision.
- We got to see old friends and meet new ones.
- We are tired–in the good way.
- We ate excellent food.
- We learned more about running a coffee shop overall (cost of goods percentages, bar flow, menu planning, etc.).
- We were able to take in the beautiful weather and landscape of the Pacific Northwest.
So many things about this trip were incredible–most of which can’t be put in a list. We’d love to tell you more about our trip to coffee school, so just ask!
Thank you everyone for all your support so far! We are excited for the future of Purple Door Coffee. Though we are continuing to learn, we believe we are now positioned to confidently move into the coffee industry